Our Parent Taught Driver’s Ed online course is DPS/TDLR-approved and meets all of the state’s requirements needed to get your Texas Learners Permit! Check out the details below to make sure you meet all requirements to take this course:
Make sure you meet the age requirements to take this course.
You can be as young as 14 years old to take this course, however, you need to be at least 15 years old to get your Texas learners permit.
Ensure you have an eligible instructor, AND have purchased the Parent Taught Drivers Ed packet from the TDLR.
Along with meeting the age requirements to take this course, you’ll also need to make sure you have an eligible parent instructor and that you purchase the Parent Taught Drivers Ed packet from the TDLR here. Purchasing this packet is a state requirement and must be done before beginning the course.
Who can be my parent instructor?
According to the TDLR, to be eligible, your instructor must meet all requirements below:
- ● Be at least 25 years old
- ● Be the student’s parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, foster parent or legal guardian appointed by a court
- ● Not charge a fee for conducting the course
- ● Have at least 7 years of driving experience.
- ● The instructor must have a valid driver’s license for the prior three years.
- ● Have not been convicted during the preceding three years of:
- ○ Three or more tickets
- ○ Two tickets without accidents and one ticket with an accident; OR
- ○ Two or more tickets that include accidents.
Keep in mind that your parent instructor must go with you to the DPS to get your permit and your license!
For more detailed information on qualifications, please visit the TDLR website here.
Once you receive your PTDE packet from the TDLR, start the course!
You must wait until you receive the packet in order for your hours for the course to be valid. If you have started the course without receiving the packet, please reach out to our customer support team to discuss your options.
How do I change my Parent Instructor?
If If you need to change your parent instructor, simply contact the TDLR. You can email them at CS.Driver.Education.Safety@tdlr.texas.gov, or call them at 800-803-9202. When you reach out, you'll need to provide the following information:
- ● The student's first and last name
- ● Your new instructor's first and last name
- ● Your new instructor's address
- ● The email address that the packet was ordered under
- ● The PTDE program guide receipt number (found on the first page of your packet - optional, but will help them find your info quickly!)
Please note that no changes to be made to your I Drive Safely course, only the TDLR Packet.