What are the requirements to get my driver’s license?
In order to earn your driver’s license, you must:
- ● Be at least 16 years old and have held your permit for 6 months
- ● Have completed all of your I Drive Safely coursework and received your License Certificate (DE-964)
- ● Have completed all 44 of your Behind the Wheel hours
- ● Complete the Impact Texas Teen Driving (ITTD) Course before you take your behind the wheel driver test. Make sure you print out and bring the certificate of completion to the DPS within 90 days!
How will I get my Certificate of Completion for this course?
How do I schedule my road test?
Most DPS offices allow you to schedule a driving exam online, which is a good idea considering some locations can be booked months in advance - especially during busier seasons, like the summer. Because of this, we recommend scheduling your road test as far in advance as possible.
Click here to schedule your road test.
What do I need to bring with me to the DPS to get my license?
- ● The first page of this guide from the TDLR PTDE Program Guide
- ● License Certificate (DE-964)
- ● Classroom Instruction Log (this should be in your PTDE Packet that you got from the TDLR)
- ● Behind-the-Wheel Instruction Log (14 hours)
- ● Behind-the-Wheel Practice Log (30 hours)
- ● Impact Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) Certificate of Completion
- ○ NOTE: This must be completed after you have received your final certificate and within 90days of your driving test
- ● Verification of Enrollment (VOE) Form
- ● Designated Parent Instructor - that's the instructor you listed on your TDLR Packet.
- ● Application for Renewal/Replacement/Change of a Texas Driver License or ID Card Form: DL- You’ll pick this up when you visit the DPS!
- ● Your Permit
- ● A Vehicle with insurance, up to date registration, and front and back license plates
- ● $11 for the Provisional Driver License Application Fee
When will I receive my license?
Once you pass the road test, your official license will be mailed to you within 60 days. In the meantime, you will be handed a temporary license. Be sure not to lose it!