What do I need to do before I can get my permit?
You can get your permit when you meet all of the following requirements:
- ● You are at least 15 ½ years old.
- ● You are enrolled in high school or vocational school, and have demonstrated reading proficiency. (click here to see a list of acceptable documentation from your school)
- ● You have an eligible parent instructor.
- ● You have downloaded the Parent Taught Drivers Education Packet (available for free here)
- ● You have submitted the Parent Taught Drivers Education Affidavit (found in the PTDE Packet) by mail to the DPS, and received the affidavit back with an approval from the DPS to complete Parent Taught Drivers Ed.
- ● You have registered with I Drive Safely for your Oklahoma Drivers Ed course and received your purchase receipt. (This purchase receipt is required at the DPS when applying for a permit.)
- ● You have passed your Vision and Written exams with the Driver License Examiner.
What do I need to bring with me to get my permit?
Be sure to bring all of the following documents with you when you visit the DPS to get your permit!
- ● Proof of your current status as it relates to your education (i.e. enrollment in a secondary or vocational-technical school, proof that you have completed a G.E.D., or proof of home schooling, on a form provided by the Department of Public Safety)
- ● Proof of enrollment in or completion of a driver’s education course.
- ● Your parent-taught drivers education affidavit (to show proof of enrollment in your course)
- ● Proof of identity and U.S. residency which may include:
- ○ Certified Birth Certificate
- ○ U.S. passport
- ○ State of Oklahoma Identification Card issued by the Department of Public Safety
- ○ Citizenship naturalization documents
- ○ Alien registration card
Please note that possession of an Oklahoma learner permit allows you to drive when:
- ● You are at least 15 1/2 years of age.
- ● You have taken and passed a drivers education course.
- ● You have passed the written driving test.
- ● You have passed the vision exam.
- ● You are accompanied by an adult who is 21 or older.
You will be prompted to enter your permit number in your profile in order to take your final exam. You may do so by logging into your account here.
When can I begin my Behind the Wheel training?
Once you have your permit, you can begin working towards completing the 55 required driving hours with your parent instructor(s). You cannot drive without a permit or a driver license, even with a parent instructor. You must always be accompanied by a licensed adult over the age of 21 while holding your permit.
Do I need to document my behind the wheel hours?
All you’ll need to do is turn in a notarized Affidavit of Driver Training.