What are the requirements to get my permit in Georgia?
You must be at least 15 years old to get your learner’s permit in Georgia. Although you are able to test for and obtain your permit before completing a Drivers Ed course, we recommend at least starting your course and reviewing the GA Drivers Manual before taking your Road Rules and Road Signs tests!
Who is required to take this course?
If you are 16 or younger, you’re required to take a 30-hour drivers ed course before applying for your license, along with 40 hours of behind the wheel training. If you are 17 or older, you are not required to take a 30-hour course, although you are still required to complete 40 hours of behind the wheel practice before getting your license.
What do I need to bring with me when I go to get my permit?
The state of Georgia offers a fantastic resource that allows you to find out what documents you need to bring with you when you go to the DDS to get your permit/license. It will list all of the different options and combinations of documents and even show pictures of them! Check it out here.
- ● $10 cash
- ● Certificate of School Enrollment (DS-1) signed within the last 30 days
- ○ If not enrolled in school, must provide a high school diploma, GED, special diploma, certification of high school completion, or proof of enrollment in a GED program or post-secondary school.
- ● Secure ID Documents
- ○ An original document to prove who you are (birth certificate or passport)
- ○ Your social security card
- ○ 2 things to prove where you live
- ○ Example: bank statement, gas, light, or water bill
- ● If your name is not the same as your birth name, please bring a legal document with your name changed on it.
- ● Immigration documents
- ● All documents must be in English
Where can I download important forms?
The following forms can also be found at Georgia’s DDS site:
- ● Certificate of Attendance DS-1
- ● Certificate of Eligibility for Restoration of Driving Privileges following School Suspension DS-3
- ● Driver Training School Parental Affidavit DS-7010
- ● Parent/Teen Driving Guide
- ● Petition for Hardship Exception to School Conduct and Attendance Requirement DS-7012